Thursday, December 8, 2016

STOP OVER -- REDLANDS, CALIFORNIA




California bungalow front porch

Taking a long distance travel trip, be it for a few days or for several months in your vehicle, can be both invigorating and/or tiresome. You still have vehicle care, oil changes, tires checked and all other things automotive. Also, bills follow you as you go merrily down the highway. But it will be invigorating from the standpoint of the wonderful experiences you will enjoy. 

What I am trying to say is that organized travelers enjoy their trips better when they do a great job of trip pre-planning -- weather one is travelling alone or with passengers.

I am mid-way on enjoying my long adventure of travelling with only one passenger -- my dog Daisy. We have been on the road for a couple months now. She rides shot gun in my passenger seat. She is a large friendly black lab but some folks back away when they saunter too close to my parked Toyota truck and suddenly spot her in the passenger seat staring at them.  I like that -- she provides a safe feeling as I travel. 

Right now I am taking a long break from my extensive highway adventure. Not sure how long my break will be -- two or three months perhaps. Hopefully I will keep up better with my blog. Staying with my daughter and husband who are involved with a renovation of a historic California bungalow. They plan on selling it. So I take care of their dogs, errand run etc.

Thinking of heading to the Midwest at the end of this stay here in California. But please don't hold me to it. I just might spot a small town on my cross country trip -- staying there for a while to soak up their culture and take some photos.

It's all on the table


17 comments:

  1. Happy trails!!
    More photos of the bungalow please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, I'm going to be in the Redlands CA area for a bit longer. It is a lovely histoic town. Historic homes facinate me so I am sure I will be taking quite a few and will be posting them. Enjoy your holiday -- so nice to hear from you -- barbara

      Delete
  2. So good to see you here in Blogland again, Barbara! I do remember many a trip where I was the sole occupant, and enjoyed it a lot. After my recent adventure in an airport, I'm sold on traveling by car again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that you remind me of Travels with Charley. I must re-read that book! I bet your live is full of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor -- That's funny. I did read Travels With Charley long ago and was really a bit envious of his journey. Perhaps those thoughts of his journey with his dog became dormant in my mind until I felt the coast was clear when I was older to "do my own thing." thanks and happy holiday -- barbara

      Delete
  4. Enjoy! Something I hope to do someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle -- I highly recommend a long trip to anyone who likes adventure when they get older. When your family is grown and you are free to investigate your own agenda. Do enjoy your holidays. -- barbara

      Delete
  5. Nice match there, herringbone bricks and herringbone quilt block layout. Daisy seems to have fallen right in with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne Noragon -- Patterns always have intrigued me, be they bricks, quilts, bird's nests etc. Hope all is well with your new home. Happy Holidays - barbara

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you back on Blogland again :-) , and that you are keeping well. Southern California must a nice place to stay at this time of the year. Enjoy the scenery and the climate.

    PS Many years ago I stayed there for nearly a week. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rune -- Thanks. I have been rather busy since I began this long trail. Southern California can be intimadating, traffic, big city pollution, and losing your way occasionally. But overall it has lots to offer folks. Mid- size and small towns are exceptioally nice. You say many years ago you stayed in CA for nearly a week and loved it.. I find it is beeeautiful when you can avoid the super-traffic highways and the high density of commercial and housing developments. However, just a bit of driving away from these problem areas gets you into natural lovely dessert lands and/or mountains or fantastic forest lands. Do have a joyous holiday! -- barbara

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to know all is well although I miss your blog posts and pictures. That bricked patio is beautiful. The quilt in your header is very nice with all it's little ties. And I'm sure Daisy is a great traveling companion. I hope you'll have a chance for some photography and blogging while you're settled for time in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June - So nice to hear from you. Daisy has been a great buddy the whole way, so far. Just about 1500 + miles to go -- something like that. Today I am resting all day. I am not the "kid" I used to be. I expect to end up in Michigan when I bring this trail to an end -- hopefully so. I have not been a tourist. I study the paterns of such things as historic working class neighborhoods, historic architecture, natural wonders, etc. Have taken quite a bit of photos as I go along and will try to put on some. I am going to read blogs today and catch up with everyone. I imagine you are preparing for Christmas with family -- enjoy your time with them -- barbara

      Delete
  8. What an adventure, Barbara! I have a Daisy too, but she's a yellow lab, hangs out with our male black labs. I do hope you continue to blog about your trip. It will be fascinating to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Sue -- Oh don't you just love labs! Daisy is my third lab I have had over time! I think I might write about my trip -- for family eyes only right now. Maybe for others later on? Like your new photo on your blog. Hope your antique business is going well. Heard that snow is blowing in the Midwest. Hopefully the snow is out of its system by the time I travel across the Midwest. Do have a relaxing holiday and thanks for writing -- barbara

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Vicki -- I've got my bags packed with trip stories that I need to work on. Need to find a quiet place along my way for this. And lots of photos that I need to organize with lightroom. I belive in a few more months I will be in Michigan where I believe I will live in a little apartment? Thanks for the nice words - Joy to the world -- we need it -- barbara

      Delete